Raspberry Soufflé with Raspberry Sauce
Ingredients3 tablespoons water
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 cups Sun Belle raspberries
1 teaspoon eau de vie – preferably framboise
Instructions1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
2. Have all ingredients at room temperature
3. Separate the eggs. Only half the egg yolks are needed.
4. Dissolve 1/2 cup sugar in water and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
5. Place sugar syrup and raspberries into a blender or processor until pureed. Strain puree in a sieve to remove seeds. Divide the raspberry puree in half. Add eau de vie to one half of the puree and pour into a small serving bowl or small pitcher. This is the sauce served with the soufflé.
6. Whisk together 4 egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar in a saucepan until creamy. Stir in cornstarch and flour. Add milk and bring to a boil stirring constantly. Reduce heat and stir until mixture becomes smooth and thickens a bit. Stir in vanilla and 1 tablespoon butter. Turn off heat and stir in the remaining half of the raspberry puree.
7. Prepare a 6-cup souffle dish by buttering the inside thoroughly and shaking sugar to coat the butter.
8. Whip 8 egg whites until firm peaks form. Add 1 1/2 tablespoon sugars to egg whites and continue to whip until glossy and stiff
9. Blend half the beaten egg whites into the raspberry custard by hand and thoroughly mix them together. Fold in remaining egg whites with a just few gentle strokes
10. Turn batter into the soufflé dish. Bake for 12 minute. Souffle should have risen, have a golden crust and should still be a little wobbly when touched.
11. Bring the hot soufflé to the table, cut into its center with a serving spoon and pour some of the raspberry sauce into the soufflé. Serve the soufflé allowing your guests to add additional sauce according to preference.