Easy Red Currant Tart
1-1/4 cup unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter – softened
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
A bit of ice water
2-1/2 cups Sun Belle red currants (stems removed)
2 teaspoons corn starch
Instructions1. In a bowl, sift flour and baking powder.
2. Add egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar, butter, lemon zest and salt. Quickly work these ingredients into the flour with a pastry blender or fingers. If necessary add a bit of ice water so that the dough can form a ball.
3. Wrap dough in plastic and place in a refrigerator for one hour.
4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
5. Roll out dough and line a two piece 9-inch pie tin with the dough.
6. In a bowl beat the egg whites until they peak.
7. Gradually add 2/3 cup of sugar and corn starch while continuing to beat until the whites are stiff and glossy.
8. Fold the red currants into the egg white mix.
9. Pour red currant filling into the pie shell and bake for 20 minutes.
10. Cool. Lift pie out of the ring.
Can be served with ice cream or whipped cream.